Thursday, July 21, 2011

To the Grandparents House We go...

The July month has proven to be a pretty busy one so far! The kids took a "vacation" up to North Carolina to MawMaw & PawPaw's house. My dad and step mom have been talking to us about the kids coming up and staying with them for a week or two, for the past couple of years! Actually about 3 years ago Aryel was going to stay with them. We even were up there and she was supposed to stay and as I was packing up the car for the rest of us to head home, she came and threw her bag in the trunk and said "I'm going with you". She was 9 at the time and the boys weren't staying. We have talked about it some more, but something was always going on or the kids just really didn't seem to be ready to go. With them being a good 6 1/2 hours away, I wanted to make sure they would be OK. The worst feeling in the world is to be homesick!
    We talked to the kids again about going to visit and this year all 3 were ready to go! We didn't put a time limit on it (the goal was 2 weeks), but we just wanted to see how they were once they got up there and spent a few days.
   To tell you I was nervous is an understatement. We got all packed up and the plan was to meet them 1/2 way. We left on a Sunday and met, had some dinner and spent a little time together. The kids were very anxious to go with them, kinda like "bye mom & dad, see ya later". My heart was breaking as we watched them drive away, but at the same time I wanted them to go and spend time with their grandparents. They only get to see them a handful of times a year. I also know it is important for them to grow and make memories.
   So, the first couple of days were very difficult...FOR ME! The kids were fine! They were making themselves right at home and having a good time. I had let them take their Wii, so they were having fun playing games. We even got a new game the day before they left and they got a new game while they were visiting (from Shelley's hubby). The kids had a lot of fun, went swimming and shopping, out to eat..spent time swimming at Shelley's with her kids and my aunts. They had a lot of time just hanging out with my dad and step-mom. I know they will look back at their visit and always remember it! They are already talking about when they get to go again!! They made it for 2 weeks and this past weekend Duke and I rode up. We had a big family cook-out with my family there (which Austin says was the highlight of the trip for him). We also took the kids to the big NC Zoo. For those of you that have traveled there..you know we love our kids cause it's EXHAUSTING!! Lots of walking, uphill, downhill and the heat is killer! Brandon said the Zoo was his favorite, even though we didn't get to see the Chimpanzee's. We saw a ton of really cool animals (the polar bear was my favorite). Aryel enjoyed all the shopping. She went to the mall 3 times!! Mostly, they enjoyed their grandparents. They had special bonding time that I know all will cherish.
    The kids get to see my mom every day, and they LOVE their Nana. She has been there through everything with them. They also have Grandma Betty and a very special Aunt Debbie that they love bunches. Uncle Tommy & Aunt Jackie..I could go on...they are very blessed with loving grandparents and family that loves them very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment