Thursday, May 26, 2011

Feeling sad

It's truly amazing how you can only know someone a short while, but yet they can touch your life so much. Today is a sad day for me as I have learned the news that a co-worker of mine has passed away. I have only known him for almost 2 years, but he is someone I will never forget. I had many conversations with him outside on our "breaks" at work, when we were both smokers. In ways, he reminded me of my own father. He had such a caring spirit about him. He loved his family and loved talking about his grandbabies.
    We recently and I mean very recent, this past weekend, participated in Relay for Life, honoring him. In the back of my mind I had personally questioned whether we would have to change "honor" to "In memory". I knew he was up and down and just didn't know how much longer he could hold on. His daughter was also pregnant, expecting any day! All along I had prayed that he would make it through Relay and the birth of his grandson. Although he was not well enough to be at Relay, he was still with us. I will never forget participating and how much it has touched me. Cancer affects SO MANY PEOPLE. He was also able to see his grandson come into this world and I have heard the baby was placed on his lap and pictures made. THANKYOU god for that! I know that will forever give his daughter peace.
   Another reason I think this has affected me so much is it reminds me so much of my grandmother passing. She was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away only 6 months later, after many treatments. I to this day personally have never met anyone who has beat lung cancer. I was so scared for him when I heard his news, lung cancer..just back late summer. He was brave and strong. He gave it his best fight, but in the end, Mr. Cordle lost his battle, just like my grandmother. It has been 20 years since my grandmother passed away and I think about her every day as I know Mr. Cordle's family will remember him and cherish his memory. He touched so many lives and although I did only know him for a short time, I will always remember my little chats with him. RIP Mr. Cordle...I will never again ask you "how many pages we need" or peep my head around the corner and see you working on cross-word puzzle's or sipping your coffee. You are free now, free of pain and sorrow and free to enter the kingdom of heaven! God Bless YOU!

Sidenote: I have not been a smoker now for over a year and this is just another reminder that I made the best decision for me and for my family by quitting this habit!! I encourage anyone else who is fighting this addiction, to put it down! I have seen too many lives end WAY to early b/c of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment